Here’s a delicious recipe for a classic Strawberry Tart
**For the Tart Crust:**
– 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and diced
– 1/4 cup granulated sugar
– 1 large egg yolk
– 2 tablespoons ice water
**For the Pastry Cream:**
– 2 cups whole milk
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 1/4 cup cornstarch
– 4 large egg yolks
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
**For the Topping:**
– Fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
– Apricot jam or fruit glaze for brushing (optional)
– Mint leaves for garnish (optional)
**1. Tart Crust:**
1. In a food processor, combine the flour, butter, and sugar. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Add the egg yolk and ice water. Pulse until the dough starts to come together.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it a few times to bring it together. Shape it into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
4. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
5. Roll out the chilled dough on a floured surface and fit it into a tart pan. Trim any excess dough.
6. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork. Line the crust with parchment paper and fill it with pie weights or dried beans.
7. Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and weights and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Allow it to cool completely.
**2. Pastry Cream:**
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it just begins to simmer. Remove from heat.
2. In a bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and egg yolks until well combined.
3. Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
4. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Transfer the pastry cream to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap (directly touching the surface to prevent a skin from forming), and refrigerate until completely chilled.
1. Once the tart crust and pastry cream are completely cooled, spread the pastry cream evenly over the tart crust.
2. Arrange the halved strawberries on top of the pastry cream.
3. Optional: Heat apricot jam or fruit glaze in a small saucepan until melted and brush it over the strawberries to give them a glossy finish.
4. Garnish with mint leaves if desired.
5. Chill the tart in the refrigerator for at least 1-2 hours before serving.
Enjoy your delicious strawberry tart!